Case Study

National Heritage Board

Improving digital engagement with museum visitors

more social media from customers
improved efficiency
engagement rate on user-generated content galleries

With Local Measure, the NHB discovered 3x the amount of relevant customer content and increased digital engagement with museum guests in a quarter of the time it took previously.

What is the NHB?

The National Heritage Board (NHB) is the custodian of Singapore’s heritage, responsible for telling the Singapore story, sharing the Singaporean experience and imparting the Singapore spirit. It also manages the national museums and heritage institutions, and sets policies relating to heritage sites, monuments and the national collection. NHB is a statutory board under the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth.

The latest Singapore Cultural Report found that the number of visitors to cultural institutions and national museums increased from 2.8 million to 3.2 million between 2012 and 2013.


Given their growing number of visitors, the NHB embarked on a program to find out who these individuals were and what they were saying about Singapore’s museums. They also envisioned a new way of engaging with guests, by promoting visitor photos and experiences to help sustain and maintain visitor interest.

However, with the ever increasing volume of social media content, the NHB faced the difficult task of discovering relevant user content to enable their new visitor-centric program.


The NHB uses Local Measure at two of their key museums: the National Museum of Singapore and the Asian Civilisations Museum, to discover on-site visitors with whom they can engage, and relevant content to publish into digital user generated content (UGC) galleries.

Staff also use real-time alerts to be notified when important or loyal visitors post onto social networks from the museum locations.


Access to 334% more social media content from customers.

Whereas NHB staff had previously searched for social media posts from visitors manually, Local Measure gives them access to a wealth of content that they previously couldn’t source – expanding the quantity of relevant visitor content by 334%.

Local Measure’s geo-location data gives NHB the ability to monitor thousands of posts from visitors at their venues which do not contain any mention of the museum. Only 23% of posts mentioned the national museum or its hashtags, where the remaining 77% did not.

“Previously, we were limited to finding visitor photos based on hashtags.  Local Measure gave us the means to find relevant information without having to be bound to hashtag searches only.”Shaun Wong: Senior Manager, Digital, NHB

Improve business efficiency by 2-3 hours per week

Local Measure saves the NHB time by automating time-consuming processes that were previously done manually.

The museums use Local Measure’s engagement platform to respond to visitors across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Foursquare, as well as to curate visitor photos for marketing and promotional purposes. The NHB now performs these tasks simultaneously, because the content is aggregated in one easy-to-use platform. This means staff can reach more people in less time.

“We save at least 2 or 3 hours per week with Local Measure.  It has removed the need for us to sort through content manually  on different social media networks.”Ian Liu: Manager, Digital Engagement and Social Media

50% Engagement Rate on Social Media Galleries  on Websites and at Events

The NHB promotes visitor content across several of its institutions and events using Local Measure’s publishing suite. This allows the museums to upload visitor social media galleries to their websites, and to display content on screens during festivals and other events.

Social media galleries give prospective museum visitors a behind-the-scenes look at upcoming exhibitions, encouraging them to pre-purchase tickets. The National Museum of Singapore’s live gallery received 5,013 views in one week, and 2,562 interactive clicks – an engagement rate in excess of 50%!

Event Galleries: The NHB used Local Measure to monitor the Singapore Night festival and share some wonderful memories of the event, while thanking participants for sharing their photos. The gallery has been visited a total of 5,192 times, with 1,244 clicks by visitors on individual photos and videos on the site: an engagement rate of nearly 25%.

“We want to have a connected and engaged audience. We want to be able to sustain audience interest through showing the ongoing crowdsourced content that is created on a regular basis, and Local Measure gives us the power to do that.”Ian Liu: Manager, Digital Engagement and Social Media

Ready to transform your customer experience?

Book a demo to see how Local Measure works